These heartrending Grey’s Anatomy quotes delivered every episode by the show’s powerful characters are hard to ignore. They provide inspiration and can jolt you awake when you need it most during life’s imperfect moments.
What sets Grey’s Anatomy apart as one of the best?
What happens behind the scenes among medical professionals dealing with sickness, breakthroughs, and deaths on a daily basis while going through their own personal crises has always been a great formula for success for TV dramas but there’s something about Grey’s Anatomy that sets it apart as one of the best.
If you’re feeling a little down in life and contemplating giving up, here’s a dose of inspiration to keep your spirits up and fighting through.
Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life lessons
1. “Ask most people what they want out of life and the answer is simple – to be happy. Maybe it’s this expectation of wanting to be happy that just keeps us from ever getting there.” – Grey’s Anatomy
2. “At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don’t keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That’s how we’re made. So, you can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” – Grey’s Anatomy
3. “Cause you never think that the last time is the last time. You think there will be more. You think you have forever but you don’t.” – Grey’s Anatomy
4. “Change. We don’t like it, we fear it. But we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. It hurts to grow. Anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here’s the truth. Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is everything.” – Grey’s Anatomy
5. “Don’t let fear keep you quiet. You have a voice so use it. Speak up. Raise your hands. Shout your answers. Make yourself heard. Whatever it takes, just find your voice, and when you do, fill the damn silence.” – Grey’s Anatomy
6. “Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy but he’s not the sun. You are.” – Grey’s Anatomy
7. “Each of you comes here today hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as surgical residents will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure and two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That’s up to you.” – Grey’s Anatomy
8. “Gratitude. Appreciation. Giving thanks. No matter what words you use, it all means the same thing. Happy. We’re supposed to be happy.” – Grey’s Anatomy
9. “If you aren’t willing to keep looking for light in the darkest of places without stopping, even when it seems impossible, you will never succeed.” – Grey’s Anatomy
10. “If you love someone, you tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. Even if you’re scared that it’ll cause problems. Even if you’re scared that it will burn your life to the ground, you say it, and you say it loud and you go from there.” – Grey’s Anatomy
Grey’s Anatomy quotes to keep your spirits up
11. “I’m sure it must feel as though everything is coming apart, but you can get through this.” – Grey’s Anatomy
12. “It can be scary to find out you’ve been wrong about something. But we can’t be afraid to change our minds, to accept that things are different, that they’ll never be the same, for better or for worse. We have to be willing to give up what we used to believe. The more we’re willing to accept what is and not what we thought, we’ll find ourselves exactly where we belong.” – Grey’s Anatomy
13. “It doesn’t matter how tough we are. Trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home. It changes our lives. Trauma messes everybody up. But maybe that’s the point. All the pain and the fear and the crap. Maybe going through all that is what keeps us moving forward. It’s what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up before we can step up.” – Grey’s Anatomy
14. “It turns out sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. Sometimes you have to make a big mistake to figure out how to make things right. Mistakes are painful but they’re the only way to find out who we really are.” – Grey’s Anatomy
15. “It’s one of those things people say. ‘You can’t move on until you let go of the past.’ Letting go is the easy part, it’s the moving on that’s painful. So sometimes we fight it, trying to keep things the same. Things can’t stay the same though. At some point you just have to let it go. Move on. Because no matter how painful it is, it’s the only way we grow.” – Grey’s Anatomy
16. “Just when we think we’ve figured things out, the universe throws us a curve ball. So, we have to improvise. We find happiness in unexpected places. We find our way back to the things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way, sometimes it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong.” – Grey’s Anatomy
17. “Maybe I do believe it, all this ‘meant to be’ stuff. Why not believe it, really? Who doesn’t want more romance in their life? Maybe it’s just up to us to make it happen. To show up and be meant for each other.” – Grey’s Anatomy
18. “Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we’re wired that way. Because without it, I don’t know. Maybe we just wouldn’t feel real. What’s that saying? Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop.” – Grey’s Anatomy
19. “My point is sometimes the best gifts come in really surprising packages.” – Grey’s Anatomy
20. “Pain comes in all forms. The small twinge, a bit of soreness, the random pain, the normal pains we live with every day. Then there is the kind of pain you can’t ignore. A level of pain so great that it blocks out everything else. Makes the rest of the world fade away. Until all we can think about is how much we hurt. How we manage our pain is up to us. We anesthetize, ride it out, embrace it, ignore it, and for some of us the best way to manage pain is to just push through it.” – Grey’s Anatomy
Grey’s Anatomy quotes to help you win your battles
21. “Some days, the whole world seems upside down. And then somehow, and probably, when you least expect it, the world gets right again.” – Grey’s Anatomy
22. “Sometimes it’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose.” – Grey’s Anatomy
23. “The body is a slave to its impulses. But the thing that makes us human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has passed, we can cool off and clean up the messes we made. We can try to let go of what was.” – Grey’s Anatomy
24. “The future is the home of our deepest fears and our wildest hopes.” – Grey’s Anatomy
25. “The human life is made up of choices. Live or die. That’s the important choice. And it’s not always in our hands.” – Grey’s Anatomy
26. “There’s an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted. Once all the houses have been ripped apart. The wind will hush, the clouds will part, the rain will stop, the sky will clear in an instant. But only then, in those quiet moments after the storm, do we learn who was strong enough to survive it.” – Grey’s Anatomy
27. “Walk tall. All you can do is be brave enough to get out there. You fought. You loved. You Lost. Walk tall.” – Grey’s Anatomy
28. “We do our very best but sometimes it’s just not good enough. We buckle our seat belts, we wear a helmet, we stick to the lighted paths, we try to be safe. We try so hard to protect ourselves but it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference. Cause when the bad things come, they come out of nowhere. The bad things come suddenly with no warning. But we forget that sometimes that’s how the good things come too.” – Grey’s Anatomy
29. “We don’t get unlimited chances to have the things that we want, and this I know. Nothing is worse than missing an opportunity that could have changed your life.” – Grey’s Anatomy
30. “We have to keep reinventing ourselves, almost every minute because the world can change in an instant. And there’s no time for looking back. Sometimes the changes are forced on us. Sometimes they happen by accident and we make the most of them. We have to constantly come up with new ways to fix ourselves. So, we change, we adapt. We create new versions of ourselves. We just need to be sure that this one is an improvement over the last.” – Grey’s Anatomy
Grey’s Anatomy quotes on keeping up the fight
31. “We spend our whole lives worrying about the future, planning for the future, trying to predict the future, as if figuring it out will cushion the blow. But the future is always changing … But one thing is certain, when it finally reveals itself. The future is never the way we imagined it.” – Grey’s Anatomy
32. “When do you throw in the towel? Admit that a lost cause is sometimes just that? There comes a point when it all becomes too much. When we get too tired to fight anymore. So, we give up. That’s when the real work begins. To find hope where there seems to be absolutely none at all.” – Grey’s Anatomy
33. “When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don’t let go.” – Grey’s Anatomy
34. “When we follow our hearts, when we choose not to settle. It’s funny, isn’t it? A weight lifts, the sun shines a little brighter, and for a brief moment, we find a little peace.” – Grey’s Anatomy
35. “Why does it feel so good to get rid of things? To unload? To let go? Maybe because when we see how little we actually need to survive, it makes us realize how powerful we actually are. To strip down to only what we need. To hang on to only what we can’t do without. Not just to survive but to thrive.” – Grey’s Anatomy
36. “Yes, horrible things do happen. Happiness in the face of all of that. That’s not the goal. Feeling horrible, and knowing that you’re not gonna die from those feelings. That’s the point.” – Grey’s Anatomy
37. “Bad things happen but you have to move past it. Leave it behind. The sooner, the better. Or it’ll eat away at you and stop you from moving forward.” – Grey’s Anatomy
38. “Don’t analyze everything. Just do it.” – Grey’s Anatomy
39. “Grief may be a thing we all have in common but it looks different on everyone. It isn’t just death we have to grieve. It’s life, it’s loss, it’s change … The really crappy thing, the very worst part of grief is that you can’t control it. The best we can do is try to let ourselves feel it when it comes and let it go when we can.” – Grey’s Anatomy
40. “If you want crappy things to stop happening to you, stop accepting crap and demand something more.” – Grey’s Anatomy
Other inspirational Grey’s Anatomy quotes
41. “Intimacy is a four-letter syllable for ‘Here’s my heart and soul, please grind them into a hamburger and enjoy.’ It’s both desired and feared. Difficult to live with, impossible to live without.” – Grey’s Anatomy
42. “Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it but every now and then look around. Drink it in ’cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow.” – Grey’s Anatomy
43. “Picture the life you dreamed of living. Are you living the life you envisioned for yourself? Are you who you wanted to be when you grew up?” – Grey’s Anatomy
44. “So, you fight. Until you can’t fight anymore.” – Grey’s Anatomy
45. “The expected is what keeps us steady. It’s the unexpected that changes our lives forever.” – Grey’s Anatomy
46. “The problem is we are human. We want more than to just survive. We want to love.” – Grey’s Anatomy
47. “There comes a point when you have to suck it up and stop whining and start living.” – Grey’s Anatomy
48. “It always feels like there is just one person in this world to love. And then you find somebody else, and it just seems crazy that you were ever worried in the first place.” – Grey’s Anatomy
49. “You can have the worst crap in the world happen to you and you can get over it. All you gotta do is survive.” – Grey’s Anatomy
50. “You have to go back to the beginning to understand the end.” – Grey’s Anatomy
What did you learn from these Grey’s Anatomy quotes?
These Grey’s Anatomy quotes attest to the TV show’s brilliant writing courtesy of Shonda Rhimes and given life by its award-winning cast who played fictional doctors. Fans have fallen in love with the show’s cast, who include Meredith Grey, Richard Webber, Derek Shepherd, and Mark Sloan.
Grey’s Anatomy is one of the longest-running medical TV series to date and for good reasons. The TV show not only gives us access to what goes on in doctors’ lounges, operating rooms, homes, and minds as they go through their day to day battle to save lives but it also teaches us powerful lessons in life we can arm ourselves with so we can fight and hopefully, win our own battles.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Grey’s Anatomy quotes? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
The post 50 Grey’s Anatomy Quotes on Happiness, Success and Empowerment appeared first on Everyday Power.