This collection of “The Outsiders” quotes will inspire you to always “stay gold” despite your difficulties even if the odds are against you.
Coming-of-age stories like “The Outsiders” leave a lasting impression in our minds perhaps because they poignantly describe how young people go through their journey from innocence to the stark realities of life.
“The Outsiders” quotes will resonate in the hearts of both readers and filmgoers who have read and seen the novel written by teenaged author S.E. Hinton in 1967 and the film directed by iconic screenwriter and filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola in 1983.
These quotes take us inside the chaotic world of teenagers who fought their demons with a tough exterior to survive yet underneath layers of roughness, cynicism and indifference hide a romantic and pure heart.
We also have a list of “48 Laws of Power” quotes that will inspire you to success. Be sure to also read that.
Memorable “The Outsiders” quotes
1. “And when you ain’t got nothing, you end up like Dallas.” – The Outsiders
2. “Are you a real red head? Are you real?” – The Outsiders
3. “But I don’t wanna die now. It ain’t long enough.” – The Outsiders
4. “Firey, huh? Just the way I like them!” – The Outsiders
5. “Greasers will still be greasers and Socs will still be Socs. Sometimes I think it’s the ones in the middle that are really the lucky stiffs.” – The Outsiders
6. “He can get drunk in a drag race or dancing without ever getting near alcohol.” – The Outsiders
7. “I keep getting tireder and tireder.” – The Outsiders
8. “I think I like it better when the old man’s hittin’ me. At least he knows I’m there.” – The Outsiders
9. “I used to watch them, too, before I got so busy.” – The Outsiders
10. “It’s not money, it’s feeling. You don’t feel anything and we feel too violently.” – The Outsiders
Famous “The Outsiders” quotes
11. “Let’s do it for Johnny!” – The Outsiders
12. “Like the way you dig sunsets, Pony. That’s gold.” – The Outsiders
13. “Robert Frost wrote it. I always remembered it because I never quite knew what he meant.” – The Outsiders
14. “So many damn things I ain’t seen or done.” – The Outsiders
15. “The fighting and the killing. It doesn’t prove a thing.” – The Outsiders
16. “When I was young, I read everything, including cereal boxes and coffee labels.” – The Outsiders
17. “When you’re a kid everything is new, dawn.” – The Outsiders
18. “You know the rules. No jazz before a rumble.” – The Outsiders
19. “A guy that’ll really listen to you, listen and care about what you’re saying, is something rare.” – The Outsiders
20. “Can you see the sunset real good on the West side? You can see it on the East side too.” – The Outsiders
“The Outsiders” quotes to inspire you
21. “Darry thinks his life is enough without inspecting other people’s.” – The Outsiders
22. “Dally was so real he scared me.” – The Outsiders
23. “Don’t you know a rumble ain’t a rumble unless I’m in it?” – The Outsiders
24. “Get smart and nothing can touch you.” – The Outsiders
25. “Greaser didn’t have anything to do with it. My buddy over there wouldn’t have done it. Maybe you would have done the same thing, maybe a friend of yours wouldn’t have. It’s the individual.” – The Outsiders
26. “He died violent and young and desperate, just like we all knew he’d die someday.” – The Outsiders
27. “I knew he would be dead, because Dally Winston wanted to be dead and he always got what he wanted.” – The Outsiders
28. “I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me.” – The Outsiders
29. “I liked my books and clouds and sunsets.” – The Outsiders
30. “I’d rather have anybody’s hate than their pity.” – The Outsiders
“The Outsiders” quotes that will make your day
31. “I’m what you might call a Pepsi addict.” – The Outsiders
32. “In our neighborhood it’s rare to find a kid who doesn’t drink once in a while. But Soda never touches a drop. He doesn’t need to. He gets drunk on just plain living.” – The Outsiders
33. “It would be a miracle if Dally loved anything. The fight for self-preservation had hardened him beyond caring.” – The Outsiders
34. “It’s okay. We aren’t in the same class. Just don’t forget that some of us watch the sunset too.” – The Outsiders
35. “Johnny, you don’t know what a few months in jail can do to you, man. You get mean in jail, I just don’t wanna see that happen to you like it happened to me, man. Understand?” – The Outsiders
36. “Maybe people are younger when they sleep.” – The Outsiders
37. “Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset.” – The Outsiders
38. “Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot. But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn. Sixteen years on the streets and you see a lot. But all the wrong sights, not the sights you want to see.” – The Outsiders
39. “Some of us never cry at al. Like Dally and Two-Bit and Tim Shepard–they forgot how at an early age.” – The Outsiders
40. “Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold.” – The Outsiders
Other memorable “The Outsiders” quotes
41. “There isn’t any real good reason for fighting except self-defense.” – The Outsiders
42. “There was a silent moment when everything held its breath, and then the sun rose. It was beautiful.” – The Outsiders
43. “There was a silent moment when everything held its breath, and then the sun rose.” – The Outsiders
44. “They grew up on the outside of society. They weren’t looking for a fight. They were looking to belong.” – The Outsiders
45. “We needed Johnny as much as he needed the gang. And for the same reason.” – The Outsiders
46. “You get tough like me and you don’t get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothin’ can touch you.” – The Outsiders
47. “You greasers have a different set of values. You’re more emotional.” – The Outsiders
48. “Tell Dally. I don’t think he knows.” – The Outsiders
49. “You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want. There’s still a lot of good in the world.” – The Outsiders
50. “When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind – Paul Newman and a ride home.” – The Outsiders
What did you learn from “The Outsiders” quotes?
“The Outsiders” was a box-office hit in 1983 starring now-famous actors Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio, Matt Dillon, Emilio Estevez, C. Thomas Howell, Leif Garrett, and Patrick Swayze.
Chaos and Poetry
The beauty in “The Outsiders” quotes lies in the way the boys’ confusion about life’s injustice and inequality as well as their hopes for better things to come were described through poetic references from classics such as Robert Frost’s prose.
When Johnny told Ponyboy to “stay gold” referring to the Frost poem they read together at the empty church when they were hiding from authorities, it was one of the most heartrending moments in the story.
If there’s one important takeaway from “The Outsiders”, it’s to always “stay gold” despite our difficulties even if the odds are against us.
That’s how we conquer the impossible.
And yes, As Dallas said, “Let’s do it for Johnny.”
What’s your biggest takeaway from these “The Outsiders” quotes? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
The post 50 “The Outsiders” Quotes from the Unforgettable Coming-of-Age Novel appeared first on Everyday Power.